Please read the following guidelines that have been set to make your visit a success
- All visiting entertainers will be screened and approved in advance by the Child Life Department. Please make sure that you have submitted your application at least 2 weeks prior to your proposed date.
- In accordance with our infection control policies, all visiting entertainers must be over 18 years of age.
- Although it is not required, please feel free to submit any previous experiences you have had in children’s programming, reference letters or samples of your work.
- Hospitalized children are particularly vulnerable to common illness such as colds and flues. Prior to your visit, please ensure that all members of your group have not been exposed to chicken pox or are exhibiting any signs or symptoms of colds and flues including but not limited to: runny nose, coughing, sore throat, vomiting and diarrhea. If any symptoms are present please consider re-scheduling your event or asking the affected person not to participate.
- We have strict rules around the confidentiality and privacy of our children. Photographs and videotaping of patients, families and the hospital are NOT permitted unless approved by the Child Life Department prior to the event. Any photography or videography that has been approved will be done in the presence of a representative of the Public Affairs Department.
- Any requests for media MUST be approved at least one week prior to the event through the Public Relations Department. All press releases must be submitted and Media access to hospital events is not guaranteed and will be considered on a case by case basis.
- The selling of materials such as CD’s, books etc… is not permitted .
- Our facility cares for patients from various ethnic, cultural and faith backgrounds. Event content must be politically and religiously neutral.
- As entertaining visitors, please remember that violent and threatening themes and objects can be particularly stressful for hospitalized children. We therefore request that your event not include items such as fire, weapons, scary costumes, and themes such as death, violence or illness. In addition, latex balloons and live animals are not permitted in the hospital.
Points for consideration on the day of your visit
- The IWK Health Centre cares for children with varying degrees of illness and disability. We are not able to guarantee the numbers of participants but will encourage those children who are able, to attend. Many of the children will have reduced attention spans or will have to come and go due to medical treatments and procedures. It is therefore optimal to limit your event between 30 – 60 minutes.
- Please remember that above all, our patients are CHILDREN who have interests the same as you. Please keep your conversations to day to day topics such as hobbies, sports and entertainment, the weather etc… For the privacy and confidentiality of our patients, you are not permitted to ask about their illness. Should this information be disclosed voluntarily by the child or a family member, please do not discuss this with anyone inside or outside of the hospital.
- The most successful events are those that are engaging and invite the children to participate in some format. Providing opportunities to sing along, play instruments and answer open-ended questions will allow you to achieve a connection with the children.
- Please approach the children slowly and with care. Many of our children meet numerous new faces everyday and may be a bit shy. Please gage the child’s level of comfort and do not persist if it is resulting in stress. Remember not to take this personally.
- Relax, smile and enjoy yourselves as you engage in a positive experience for you and the patients.